Friday, March 21, 2008

When Ferrets Smell Like Grandma

Friday is house cleaning day for me. Every other week or so the ferrets get a bath.

Do ferrets smell? If you keep their cage clean, launder the bedding frequently, I don't smell them.

I once did rescue an unneutered male ferret. The person called me and a pick up was arranged. He lived in a condo complex and that day all the house numbers were removed because they were re-stuccoing the building. I didn't need house numbers, it was easy to smell my way to his unit. That ferret went right to the vets for an emergency neutering.

But I love the Marshall Pet Products shampoo, conditioner and spritzer. I think they stole the formula for Channel #5.

That was my grandmother's favorite perfume - or at least I think so. Smells have powerful emotional impacts on people. Every other Friday or so I feel like my grandmother is back with us.

Thanks Marshall Pet Products. I also use your food. One suggestion though. I've bought the big bottles of your shampoo and I always find it a week after the first use, tipped over and contents all over the drawer. I think you need to redesign the bottle.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ferrets should not be bathed so often! Bathing strips their coats and skin of the oils they need to maintain skin and fur moisture. Instead of every few weeks, try every 2-6 months. In between accidents can be a good reason for a bath, but over-washed ferts can actually be more smelly than those that have had months between spa days! Try changing out the bedding more often, and cleaning the cage twice daily - you'll be amazed at how much any "scent" you may have will vanish! -Don't forget those ears and nails! Ears should be cleaned monthly and nails should be trimmed every week or every other week depending on the quality of their food and how fast their nails grow. -Ciao!!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with the previous comment left march 30th.....Ferrets should not be bathed so often. I would agree to maybe bathe them once every couple months, if not longer. Bathing them too often actually causes them to produce more oils, therefore resulting in them being even more stinky. I agree to wash their bedding often, and keep their cage nice and clean. I like to use the ferret "cologne" every once in a while or if we are going out, but I wouldn't recommend bathing so often. Maybe change your routine washings and see what you think. Good luck!