Monday, September 8, 2008

Feeling Blue over Mr X

Yesterday as I was putting together CLIFFNotes a call came in about someone's dogs finding and hurting a ferret. Ugh!

I drove down to Chula Vista from La Mesa, picked up the ferret and went to the Pet Emergency Specialty Center in La Mesa. They gave me the red carpet treatment. Was it because we spent $12,000 there last year on the dogs? Or was it because they call me for ferret blood?

Regardless - I am grateful. The initial Sunday afternoon diagnosis was the ferret had a puncture wound on one hip. The Monday morning, after X-ray diagnosis is much bleaker, something about spinal cord damage.

This ferret, who is listed as Mr X (I'm not always that creative) had that certain ferretude. I was hoping to get off cheaply, both financially and emotionally.

The price in both regards is going to be higher. It seems these days nothing is easy. But I know the ferret community won't let me down. We'll do everything we can - and I'm going to name this ferret Clifford. Expect a fundraising effort on his behalf soon.

No comments: