Sunday, March 1, 2009

Still Worried About Fausto

Fausto stopped eating. Damn ferret, makes me worry so much.

His blood work came back normal. No obvious problems. He passed a physical without anything noticable wrong except weight loss. The guess now - iritable bowel syndrome.

Last Sunday was the low point, both emotionally and weight-wise. Since then he has been on Marshall Pet Products Duck Soup. Early in the week his vet had me add prednisone. And he'll take it and his weight is back up. Normal weight for a ferret, still skinny by Fausto standards.

Equally odd, he won't drink water out of the lixit bottle any more either. I have to have a bowl there for him.

I am supposed to take him back to the vet if he doesn't gain weight, but he has.

I've always had a special talent for knowing when an animal is sick. While others say wait before going to the vet - I can usually tell when something is serious before it is too late.

But Fausto has me stumped. He looks fine, won't eat and a certain spark is gone. For a moment this morning he did torment the dog. But not with the usual joy that task entails. Is he depressed? Nothing has changed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi pat
Sorry to hear about fausto, my ferret bandit is going thru something similar. He dropped weight and it seemed like his hair thinned out. He had become sluggish and stopped eating, after going to several vets I went to avian n exotic hospital, where he was diagnosed with insulinoma. Maybe fausto might have the same thing. Best of luck with fausto, hope he gets better. Prednisode was worked wonders for bandit and he is back to chasing our cat.
Jasmin