Monday, March 30, 2009

Temptation - thy name is "Ferret"

I received a call Sunday early afternoon about a healthy two year old ferret in Carlsbad needing a home. I just lost Augie, I thought I'd move myself to the top of my adoption list.

I wasn't expecting the call so soon. It can take six months for a ferret to be available. But this was Carlsbad, 2 year old ferret.

Sounds awfully familiar to Daisy. Daisy was the best ferret who ever lived. She was 2 years old when I adopted her from a family in Carlsbad. I had just lost Chester, and said I'd take the next ferret needing a new home.

Daisy was a lone ferret. She taught me that yes - ferrets can scream. Preferably at 2:3o am. She was terrified of other ferrets. But she bloomed. She became motherly. She was one of those rare "lap ferrets" you might have heard about.

So - I thought, I might sneak up to Carlsbad today and pick up this ferret. I'd have to stop enroute at the vet for a distemper shot and ear mite check. The real problem would be when my partner, Jim came home.

If I had $25 for every "your are not getting another ferret" lecture I could pay off the mortgage.

Better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

But then this morning I went to file my unemployment check I noticed the second week x'd out. Yes - I'm on the dole. Perhaps I should wait until I find a job or have some stable income before I bring in another pet.

Damn logic - I really want to drive and pick up that ferret. That's why I called it temptation.

(Actually - I want to go to Las Vegas, stay at a nice hotel, see some shows and bring home two babies. But that ain't gonna happen)

No comments: